Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday, March 10

Today we woke up after a restful night. We had breakfast with Emmy, and he shared how the Lord has weaved himself, us and Dov together to form My Brother's Keeper Uganda. We each bring different gifts, but it sure is exciting to see and dream of what might happen.

We left for the school. Upon our arrival, they were all packed into a temporary structure - wooden slat walls, dirt slanting floor and a metal roof. There were holes cut for windows. Nearly all 100 were packed in to hear us bring a message to them. Monica and the girls passed out some gifts of musical instruments. Then Monica lead them on some songs that she had prepared with a friend. They did incredibly well with only 1/3 able to speak English well. Next, it was my turn. The title of my message was "Be a Kid". It was basically saying the Kingdom of the Lord has been given to the children, and if we act like them and consider ourselves small, our God is very big. We had to have them act like kids, so I brought a balloon for each of them. At first, I made them make the balloon noise as you release a partially-blown balloon, and they loved that. It was so fun to see all those smiles. Then I asked them to throw them up in the air and not let any hit the ground. About half of them complied. The other half just kinda tossed it above their heads and didn't want to release it. It was the only toy they probably owned at the moment. My heart was heavy for their joy. They are hanging to every little thing that God provides ... literally.

Next up were Bailey and Libby. They gave a string to every orphan and were able to get through just 2 tricks with nearly 100 needing help. They loved it!!!!!!!!! We went to talk to the 8 teachers in the staff lounge building. It was probably the most humbling building I have ever had a meeting with anyone at - decrepid boards, dirt floor, and a metal roof with a hole in the top. We sat there across from them, and I asked them what their challenges are. They said there are many. First, there are very few books, a limited number of chalkboards and no desks. There are just the basics of supplies and not enough for sure. They then said something that shocked me ... they themselves were working without pay, just praying that the Lord would provide something someday. I praised them for their faithfulness and reassured them that the Lord was going to provide them a month's salary for each of them this week. We can not do it all, but we know many that will be inspired by their story. Oh how great the Lord has showered my family with infinite resources ... the least we could do is offer a simple gift to cover a whole month for each of them as a thanks from the Lord for their work. They left that building with encouragement, and I told them to be patient. We are going to build this the right way and that others would be coming. We would find a way to get them more supplies, just about anything is going to help.

Next Emmy took us on a tour. This is the hardest thing to convey in an email. We had seen the classrooms, but nothing else. He took us on a perimeter tour of the property. On one corner was a mud house next door with three children outside, all 3 years and younger. One of them had just a shirt on. He was walking around beside the family goat. He was waving to us as we walked along the property edge. We passed the classroom that had gone up in just one month's time. This was very impressive because when Dov was present in January, nothing was there. We passed by some trees arranged for 3 small areas, and I asked what is was. They said that is was the kitchen. The first area was to serve the orphans, the middle area was to cook, and the third area was a tiny area for the cook to sleep. It might be a while for that structure to be finished. Then, we walked past the church structure where we worshipped yesterday and the tarps and chairs were removed. It sure looked different yesterday. We then walked down by the river. There was a sharp drop-off to a small flowing river. This river is used by the orphans for bathing and washing of clothes, and it is as brown as can be. I could not fathom such that I was seeing. Better yet, the water had to be carried up a very steep bank from several hundred feet below. One dorm leader for the boys fetches all the water for the 100 orphans. Wow, now I was nearly crying again. Next, we passed 3 men digging a 15-foot latreen. I have never seen a bigger one in my life. Very impressive. We next got to see the dorms, which are brick structures with a concrete floor separated in the middle, covered with a metal roof. Mats are used for sleeping. It's about the size of a gameroom. THIRTY children are in one room sometimes, two to a mat. Some dorms have lockers on the side of the room and some children have literally NOTHING but the clothes on their backs. You could never know by their love that they show.

Right before we left, one of the orphans pulled out a ball of tape they had made into a a soccer ball. The game was on. It was me versus all the rest. I don't think that I have had more fun than this in a long, long time. Finally, Libby interrupted and said, "Daddy we are ready to go." The whole van was loaded but me. I got into the van and they said, "Where are you going?" I knew I must return with some brand new soccer balls.

Then we went to visit a very special piece of land. The land they are on now is temporary ... it is much too small. The new land is on a beautiful piece of property that would have access to electricity and water that the orphans could actually drink from the pipe. I have been to a lot of places in my life and some of theworld's best ... but i will have to admit ... this piece of land feels annointed. It has the most beautiful view of the river and the mountains surrounding it. Across the bank, there are some very beautiful banana plantations. It is almost a surreal place. We toured the whole property and then we gathered hands to pray that somehow, someway the Lord would provide this land that would come with title and utilities. I felt the Lord's presence and we thanked the owner for showing it to us. Dov did not even get to see this most awesome property on his visit last month. We soon have much to talk about. Wow, if I could just share this vision and experience ... others would feel the same way, I know. We will continue to pray for this perfect opportunity of a lifetime.

The day ended with Monica and I traveling to a local church about 10 minutes away. Emmy's older daughters stayed with our girls at the hotel, and we went with our driver and Emmy's wife, Sarah. We were amazed atwhat we saw yet again. People were filling a small church and literally bowing at our presence just for visiting them. Last time I checked, I wasn't a member of the royal family of England, but it sure felt like it. Monica shared first and did a great job. Then, I gave the friendship sermon. They were so appreciative of our efforts. They had been waiting for us for four hours!!!!!!!! I told them that I didn't have enough friends that would have waited more than 5 minutes to hear me, much less four hours. They came for pictures and hugs, and I reminded them at the end that someday "the first shall be last and the last shall be first." They surely would be right up front, very near the Lord. I hope I will even be able to see over the vast many that will definitely be in front of the Barret family.

I must go now. If you are still reading this, may God bless you and develop a love for these precious orphans of Mbarara Uganda. Please pray for safe travel tomorrow. The van is running well again :o) (It broke down on the way to Emmy's house, and 10 Africans helped fix it.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your continued safe travel and many more blessings. Thank you for keeping us updated. We can't wait to read (and hear) more! :)

Love to you all,
Heidi and Todd Davault
Baileigh and Jordan too!

Chuck Schwarz said...

Hey Barrets,

We just got back from Guatemala and are gradually going through your updates from Uganda. Sounds like the Lord is working in a special way there. You can count on our continued prayers.

...Chuck and Ann Schwarz

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, WOW! Simply amazing stories already and you're just getting started. Thanks so much for passing them on to us back home.

We'll continue praying for you all as the Lord continues blessing you each and every step of the way.

Keep the updates coming when possible - they are simply awesome.

God Bless-

Jason, Carrie and Bailey Bigbie

Holly P said...

I am so grateful that you and your family can be there to help those deserving people that have next to nothing, yet are thankful to God for what they have. Prayers and words of thanks to all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Word's cannot describe how I feel at this moment. Meshell and I where just talking about how you have touched our hearts in so many ways. Your love for the Lord is surely suffecient. Thanks for letting us be a part of your trip through your blogs. Your words are so powerful and I feel as if I'm right there. We'll continue to pray for you as you have done so many times for us. God Bless--D'Juanna